As you may know, last week our internet chose to not work, so I wasn’t able to participate in last week’s Top Ten Tuesday. But never fear for I am back!
This week’s Top Ten Tuesday (hosted by The Broke and Bookish) is focused on the top qualities that will most likely make me NOT pick up a book. Now, I have to say that I could only think of eight characteristics that make me put a book back on the shelf and say “do not want”.
Anyways…here is my list of Book Qualities I Do Not Want:
- crying: someone’s parents die or their boyfriend, or wait…their dog. I don’t like books that want to make me cry.
- suffering: holocaust books, books about slavery. I can’t handle lots of these.
- military: Partly because of the suffering, but also because the military just doesn’t interest me.
- erotica/sex: I’m not a prude I just prefer to not read about people doing it…call me crazy! :p I’m not opposed to a scene or two, but every other page is not my thing.
- too silly: If it’s too juvenile it’s not my thing.
- too “edgy”: I’m not into reading about physical abuse or drug abuse…as a middle school teacher lots of these “edgier” topics hit too close to home.
- male main characters: I do not hate male main characters, but I do prefer female main characters.
- issue books: I’m not opposed to learning more about heavy issues like the rape, or cancer, or the modern-day slave trade, but I don’t typically want to read about it. I like my reading to be pure escapism…somewhere I don’t have to think about the bad stuff in the world.
So I couldn’t think of ten and I didn’t want to force it, but as you can see the eight book characteristics I’ve listed are mostly all focused on one basic idea: Reading to me is an escape. I do not want to cry or be forced to think about difficult things. The world is hard enough, and I’d like to have my happy place where I won’t end up like Dawson here.
But I do believe that once in a while it is good to take an excursion out of my reading comfort zone, so I do try to make myself read books with the above qualities once in a while.
What characteristics or qualities of books make you not want to read them? Do you agree or disagree with my belief that reading is an escape, or do you prefer reading to help you get in tough with your emotions? Maybe this will be a discussion post soon….