Happy Friday everyone!
I’m pretty excited because this weekend I’m going off on a weekend women’s retreat with my church and we’re going to the mountains…YAY!!
But before that happens let’s talk YALL Fest! The YALL Book Fest is happening in Charleston on November 9 and I am extremely amazed that there are going to be 50 of the top YA authors there! I literally cannot contain my excitement!
So, because of this obvious excitement I’ve agreed to host interviews with some of the authors. Today’s author is fantasy and sci-fi author Sean Williams (who has a really cool looking website btw). His most recent book is the sci-fi Twinmaker. It shouldn’t be a big deal that Sean Williams is a guy, but in the YA world I think it is. In my experience there definitely seems to be a majority of female YA authors so it’s always refreshing to have a guy in the mix! So here is to the Guys of YA…should this be a calendar or something?! hahaha
What one thing do you need to have when you write?
The right music. And chocolate as a reward when I finish.
Describe your book in 5 words
Jump meets Uglies. But different.
What is the hardest line to write- the first or the last?
The first line is often the hardest to write, but I like a good challenge. The line I like writing the least is the last because it means I have a whole load of rewriting ahead of me.
Best writing tip you ever received?
Give up. If you can do that, you’ll be happier and probably better off as a result. If you can’t, then you know writing is exactly the right thing for you!
1) I live in Adelaide, South Australia, a place that’s home to about a million other people but somehow feels like a small town, which is why I love it.
2) I still think music from the 1980s is cool.
3) My stepson has situs invertus, which means his heart is on the wrong side of his body. That’s not really about me, but it is pretty random.
4) I’m a huge fan of Doctor Who.
5) I’m minding a pair of green tree frogs, Skipper and Jumpy, for a young friend while she’s overseas with her family. You can see pictures of them on my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/seanwilliamsauthor/.
Where’s your favorite place to write?
In my study, a lovely upstairs nook containing all my favorite book-related things, but I’ve trained myself to write anywhere as long as I have my headphones and some music. I quite like writing in hotels, probably because someone else does all the household chores.
What are you working on now?
Crashland, the sequel to Twinmaker.
I’m going to have to look for Twinmaker on audio because it sounds like a book my husband and I would both really enjoy! Also, Sean Williams is a self-proclaimed Doctor Who fan, as am I. Don’t you wonder who his favorite Doctor is?
Also, don’t forget to follow YALL Fest on twitter (@yallfest) to learn more about this book fest.